[Tagging] Tagging sockets

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 23:15:21 UTC 2019

On 25/06/19 20:36, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 at 11:05, Michael Brandtner via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>     I'd like to separate the discussions about/amenity=power_supply/
>     (my proposal) and the enhancement/merging of the /socket:/ and
>     /power_supply/ key.
>

> It would make things simpler.  Simple enough that some people would
> reject your proposal as
> incomplete.  Others would prefer the split and reject a proposal that
> tried to handle both
> topics at once.
>
>     On topic: I think it is important that information can be added by
>     looking at the device. This means that in my opinion
>     /socket:cee_blue= /and/socket:cee_red= /should be valid tags. The
>     amperes, if known, could be added with socket:[type]:current= like
>     suggested in the wiki.
>

> But socket=* is defined for use with amenity=charging_station.  That
> can be changed, but would
> probably require a proposal and a vote.  Maybe not, because from what
> little I've seen on the
> subject, electric cars often have cables that allow them to be hooked
> up to domestic power
> feeds and maybe even camp site hook-ups.  Socket=* already defines
> BS1363 sockets (UK
> domestic power) so adding others may be OK without requiring proposals
> and votes.
>
> Even so, I'm not happy with socket=* because "socket" is an ambiguous
> term which may refer
> to either female contacts (regardless of whether the connector is
> fixed or free) or a fixed
> connector (regardless of whether the contacts are male or female).
> For those of the "free
> connector is a plug" persuasion, enjoy
> https://www.masterplug.com/img/product_images/basic/BOG510-main7.jpg
> The connector for a car charging station (or an amenity=power_supply),
> even if fixed, could
> have shrouded male contacts.  It would be better to use connector=*
> than socket=* and
> encourage migration.

Connectors too are not necessary fixed.
When mapped in OSM they are fixed by the location given. So I see no
problem with OSM defining the socket/connector as being in a fixed
location.

> Except, of course, there are other ways of transmitting power, so
> electrical_connector=*, with electrical_connector:type, and all the
> other socket:type migrated,
> plus electrical_connector:contact=male|female.  All of which is too
> sensible to ever happen. :)

Currents: Installations here do not use connectors that have a higher
current capacity than the circuit can supply.
I think that is in the AS wiring rules, and those are legal requirements.
This helps to stop circuits being overloaded.
While this may not be the case in  some places, so OSM will need to
allow for it.