[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Mar 1 21:01:20 UTC 2019

Mar 1, 2019, 8:48 PM by baloo at ursamundi.org:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019, 13:57 Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>
>> Feb 27, 2019, 7:31 PM by >> baloo at ursamundi.org <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>>> :
>>
>>> motor_vehicle=no would exclude most emergency vehicles.
>>>
>> No, it would not. motor_vehicle=no is a legal limitation.
>>

> And most emergency vehicles are motor vehicles.

And emergency vehicle are exempt from traffic laws.

>> And if anything, presence of legal motor_vehicle=no may hint
>> that motor vehicles would be able to pass it, so it was made illegal
>>

> Not necessarily, no.

I know. That is why I use "may hint" not "means", "imply" or something strong.

>> To exclude emergency vehicles one should tag physical, not legal
>> barriers.
>>

> To include motorized emergency vehicles where access=no or motor_vehicle=no, you need to add emergency=yes.

Explicit tagging that emergency vehicles are exempt from traffic laws seems pointless to me.

Adding emergency=yes is useful only where it adds information to mapper or data consumers.
I am not going to start spamming it everywhere.