[Tagging] Emergency vehicle country-specific law

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Mar 2 09:43:22 UTC 2019

Mar 2, 2019, 10:12 AM by colin.smale at xs4all.nl:

> Boys, this will vary by legal jurisdiction. These comments are valueless unless placed in context.
> Here in NL and as far as I know also in the UK,  blue lights and sirens in your mirror are also no excuse for your own driving by the way, so you must not break any rules or otherwise drive dangerously to facilitate the emergency vehicle. Is that the same where you are?
> In NL police have a blanket exemption for all traffic rules in the execution of their duty. In the UK there is a fixed list of exemptions, and driving the wrong way down a one way street is not one of them, for example.

In Poland it is accepted to (carefully) break traffic laws to make space for the emergency vehicle.
Not sure what is the legal situation, though not making space for ambulance would be treated
as a criminal stupidity - even if it requires doing something inconvenient or breaking traffic law.

Examples that I encountered (and did) include temporary moving to and parking on edge
of road, crossing red light (without moving across crossing), making otherwise forbidden
right turn or U-turn, blocking road for nonemergency vehicles due to stopping at green light,
ignoring markings that forbid changing lanes etc.

All of it done with extra care and certainly without driving dangerously.

AFAIK emergency vehicles are exempt from limitations of traffic law (including oneway roads,
forbidden access roads, speed limits, red lights, forbidden turns)