[Tagging] New Tag "Departures" voting results.

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 14:17:15 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 08:14, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> So a documented way of including GTFS link in routes?

Yep.  We could just use url=* but I'd prefer to keep that available for
other things.  Besides,
it would probably be a good idea to allow for a link to the operator's
timetable.  Oh, and there
may be some routes with more than one operator (this has happened around
here where a
route is split between two small local operators).

Routes only, or is there a desire to have this on stops too?

There are situations where people want to know the timetable info at a
particular stop.  As in
"My car broke down here, I can see a bus stop, when is the next bus?"  (not
all bus stops indicate
which bus routes they serve).

Depends how sophisticated the data consumer is.  A smart app could figure
out a stop is on one
or more routes then grab the relevant data from the route.  Somebody using
the query tool on
standard carto might have more difficulty.

I think it ought to at least be permissible on stops.   But that requires a
tagging scheme capable
of dealing with stops that serve several routes.

I would think a proposal for routes (ferry or otherwise) where GTFS is not
> freely available is also needed.

As others have remarked, there are GTFS servers which allow anyone to set
up a route.  I think
that if we have to add information somewhere, it is better to enter it into
GTFS than to bodge it
into OSM.  Supporting both would make things more complicated for data
consumers.  Also,
the GTFS servers that allow anyone to set up a route have provision to turn
the data over to the
operator of that route as and when that becomes sensible.

--
Paul