[Tagging] Mapping curb (kerb) lines as the home of curb, parking, etc information

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 23:03:09 UTC 2019

I'm also a fan of the dedicated line, my primary interest being pedestrian
accessibility + QA-ability of such data.

I keep thinking, "hey, I'll go map a curb line!" and run into a related
issue: I can definitely map barrier=kerb and kerb=raised when one of those
exists along a path - could be near a sidewalk, could be a traffic island,
etc. But would it be an oxymoron to map barrier=kerb and kerb=flush (or
kerb=lowered)? I don't think I would call that a barrier. However, it is
definitely what happens to the curb along most city blocks - transitions
from raised to lowered to flush to rolled. I would find it much more useful
to know the curb state along a continuing line (set of ways) than to see a
bunch of disconnected kerb=raised lines or a kerb=raised line with kerb=*
nodes indicating a change (particularly since direction is ambiguous for a
node).

All of this is to say, what would you think of a way that only had
kerb=lowered? Should there be a barrier=kerb tag there? Or *=kerb?

Best,

Nick