[Tagging] "satellit"

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Wed Mar 6 13:37:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-06 08:46, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

> On 3/6/19 3:31 AM, Sergio Manzi wrote:
>> My friend, there are 88 persons who have mapped 520 antennas (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/antenna).
>>
>> Compare it to the billions of antennas out there and I think we are far below the "/noise level/" and that all energy "invested" in trying to regulate this is... lost energy.
>>
>> The only antennas I would personally map and tag are those who are enough conspicuous to represent landmarks
>>
> We are currently at 7252 for man_made=antenna alone (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=antenna) and then there are all the strange things such as (man_made=mast + tower:type=communication) which may or may not record a mast with antennas.
>
> But yes, my goal is landmarks such as conspicuous parabolas, not my neighbour's pet yagi.

oops, yes, you're right, I only checked those antenna that do have an associated antenna=* key (/about 1 in 15/), but anyway we are not talking about huge numbers.

To put things in perspective, and just asĀ  an example, we have about 186000 amenity=drinking_water, that is an antenna every 26 water taps...

If for those 7252 antennas (/out of billions/) someone is willing to tag technical characteristics like operating frequency and polarization, my objection about verifiability and observability still hold, but please, go ahead if you really want.

I still fail to see _who could benefit_ from that fragmentary, sparse, information of unknown quality: I surely would not (/but I'd probably be interested into knowing how high the antenna stands and approximately how big it is.../).

Sergio