[Tagging] "satellit"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 09:50:39 UTC 2019

Am Do., 7. März 2019 um 09:57 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> It's good that radio telescopes have been mentioned. While considering
> this issue, you should also take a look at towers with
> tower:type=communication and tower:construction=dish
>
> I'm not sure if it is sensible to tag a large satellite dish as a
> "tower" but that is currently an option that has been used
> occasionally.

I'm also aware that a common recommendation is to tag them as towers, but I
would not see this as a good option, for "big/high structures" we could
have a basic distinction already in the main tag (and these tags are also
already used), e.g. cooling_tower, chimney, dish, lighthouse, bell_tower,
water_tower, flagpole etc. rather than cramming everything into a big
"pre-category", which isn't useful on its own anymore because of the very
broad scope.
If a tower is a structure that is higher than wide, some dishes could fall
out. If you require a tower is a structure where people can go into or
atop, a requirement that isn't currently set but isn't completely
unreasonable either, dishes would also be excluded.

Cheers,
Martin