[Tagging] "satellit"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 22:05:46 UTC 2019

> Am Do., 7. März 2019 um 09:57 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>>:
>
>     It's good that radio telescopes have been mentioned. While considering
>     this issue, you should also take a look at towers with
>     tower:type=communication and tower:construction=dish
>
>     I'm not sure if it is sensible to tag a large satellite dish as a
>     "tower" but that is currently an option that has been used
>     occasionally.
>

> I'm also aware that a common recommendation is to tag them as towers,
> but I would not see this as a good option, for "big/high structures"
> we could have a basic distinction already in the main tag (and these
> tags are also already used), e.g. cooling_tower, chimney, dish,
> lighthouse, bell_tower, water_tower, flagpole etc. rather than
> cramming everything into a big "pre-category", which isn't useful on
> its own anymore because of the very broad scope.
> If a tower is a structure that is higher than wide, some dishes could
> fall out. If you require a tower is a structure where people can go
> into or atop, a requirement that isn't currently set but isn't
> completely unreasonable either, dishes would also be excluded.

A tower of a mast could be used for lighting, or an antenna. Or flags,
or a signal lamp ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Signals

The tag mast or tower should not be assumed to indicate the presence of
another feature.
OSM guide - one feature = one OSM entry.
So tag the mast/tower.. then add another entry for the antenna (or other
feature).