[Tagging] "satellit"

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 14:24:03 UTC 2019

I agree that we should focus our mapping efforts primarily on landmark antennae.

Although, there could exist other reasons to map one. For example, I
map broadcast FM radio or TV masts even if they are only a few meters
high, as that helps listeners point their (directional) receiving
antennae. Mapping of WISP sector heads may help determine whether a
given provider will be available in a given flat. HAMs may also prefer
to share their location and channels used this way as a common good
for emergencies. Air traffic control frequencies and location may also
come in handy for hobby fliers.

Technically, there exist various differences between an antenna used
for transmission and one only used for reception. The main issue boils
down to power handling - the SWR of the whole line must be optimized
(tuners are also commonly used), all section must handle both the
amperage and the voltage without overheating or sparking, extra
caution must be exercised against corrosion, safety measures must be
in place for humans and other creatures, special permits must be
acquired, etc.

You can easily verify whether an antenna transmits and on what
frequency by using a drone with an SDR, triangulation from a distance,
or sometimes simply using a heat camera. Although the power supplies
and lines themselves can also be tell-tale, and you may be able to
read or identify certain model numbers from a distance with the right
binoculars.

Do you think that we should map antennae participating in open
community networks? I've seen people map wireless private cellular
backbone, and the latter feels much less serving public interest
compared to the former.

By the way, this looks like a hot topic:

mast / tower / communication_tower (again):
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-October/039556.html

Radio telescopes:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-October/040198.html

antenna type:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-November/041044.html

antenna use key to replace some of the antenna type:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-December/041207.html