[Tagging] Hotel dataset import? / Re: Baby-sitting

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Mar 9 21:14:37 UTC 2019

Giovanni,

I have severe problems with your process. First, yes it is an import. You called it an import
yourself ("manually importing") here, and on the Italien list where you first asked about the
tagging [2]. Where did you see a "100 nodes" limit documented? You are copying from one database
into another, and if you do just one node a day, it is a slow import.

Imports require the Import Guidelines to be followed [4]. I cannot see any discussion with the
community. I cannot see any check of license compatibility. There is no documentation. There is no
entry in the import catalogue.

You were criticized for stretching the opening_hours syntax to describe seasonal operations ("Jan 01
- Dec 31"), but did not respond nor adjust your tagging.[3]

The link on your Umap site leads to [5], which is licensed under the Italian Open Data License,
linked here [6]. It requires attribution, machine-translated: "On condition of: indicate the source
of the Information and the name of the Licensor, including, if possible, a copy of this license or a
link (link) to it."

You have not attributed correctly. You changesets, e.g. [7], give in the CS comment "RAFVG source",
which is an incomprehensible acronym if you don't know the context. The CS has no source tag at all
(although the editor you use has a mechanism for it), thus you do not name the source correctly, you
do not name the Licensor, and you do not include a link although possible. You have also not checked
if the attribution on the changeset only would be sufficient.

Your import does not include any check, how current or old the data in the imported set are. In the
hotel business, things can change very fast. Hotels open and close, and change ownership and
operations.

Your import focuses on soft business policies, such as allowing pets or supervising kids. Such
policies can change even more rapidly, and are better shown in separate datasets and not OSM itself.

You use and advertise in your umap the use of Level0 as an editor. This tool is excellent for
quickly fixing a tag, but I would find it error-prone to upload mass changes without a validation step.

Thus I conclude: Visualising the dataset in your Umap approach [1] is an excellent idea, unreviewed
copying of the data into OSM is not.

[2] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-it/2019-February/065837.html
[3] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-it/2019-February/065839.html
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines