[Tagging] Use of old_name (was Re: Mapping deforestation)

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:15:58 UTC 2019

What if some friends say we'll meet next year again in front of the Whizzo.
In the meantime, the Whizzo closes and is replaced with a restaurant Eatwell.
If they can then search for the old name it's useful, because they
might not be overly familiar with the area and don't know the place
has changed.
They will also see the new name and the new function within the tags.
So they now know they have to meet in front of a restaurant now.

BTW, this is of course if you use Nominatim. OsmAnd, Magic Earth etc,
do not search on old_name AFAIK.

So for me, the old_name seems useful, even though the representation
by some renderers (Nominatim in this case) might not be perfect.

m.