[Tagging] Use of old_name (was Re: Mapping deforestation)

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:56:22 UTC 2019

Le 12.03.19 à 13:35, Paul Allen a écrit :
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 12:17, Marc Gemis wrote:
>     What if some friends say we'll meet next year again in front of the
>     Whizzo.
>
> If I decide to meet with a friend AGAIN in front of Whizzo, we both
> already know where it is.

congratulations if you ever need gps to go to a place where you have
already been (I wonder in this case why commercial gps have a "go home"
shortcut since everyone has already been there)

> I also recall you saying that you primarily used old_name
> for the benefit of other mappers, to prevent them making changes
> based on outdated information.

I think you mix the opinion of 2 different Marc :)
that is my use of old_name, maybe not's Marc Gemis's use.

> note=* can be used to also say why
> the name changed (such as change of use).

note is used to transmit information between mappers.
the fact that a business has closed or changed is also useful for the
end user.
moreover, I find that having to put notes to explain tags is like saying
that the tag schema is not clear enough.
there is even at least one QA tool that allows you to search for/display
tag note=* to see if they should not be transformed into a tag... I have
converted many times.