[Tagging] Status of oneway=cw oneway=ccw

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 00:04:34 UTC 2019

On 14/03/19 02:37, s8evq wrote:
>> If you want to indicate the preferred direction of a walking route that is
>> basically loop-shaped, a concept that is different from the legally binding
>> oneway, then some kind of clockwise / anticlockwise tagging should be used.
> Yes Volcker, this is what I'm after. It's about loop-shaped walking/hiking/cycling routes, that should only by done in one direction, because of way-marking and signposts.  (Most of the bicycle routes in this overpass query fall in that category https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GWB, quite a lot!)
> I'm not talking about individual ways that are oneway restricted for pedestrians.
>

> How to properly indicate the preferred direction of this kind of relation?
>
> method (1) With proper forward / backward roles on the members of the relation? (as stated in the route=bicycle wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dbicycle and mentioned by Volcker Schmidt and Kevin Kenny)
>
> method (2) By using the tag oneway=yes, (as stated on the route=hiking and route=foot wiki page  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfoot but it causing a lot of confusion here)
>
> I have not seen anybody on this mailing list defend the usage of method (2). Can I ask the question: why it is in the wiki?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking says

"to indicate that the route is to be walked in only one direction, according to the signposts on the ground"

So ONLY in one direction.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfoot

"to indicate that the route is to be walked in only one direction, according to the signposts on the ground"

So ONLY in one direction.

The signposts on the ground should state something about 'one way only".

If the signpost don't say anything about one way only but are aligned it a particular direction then oneway=recommended is a better value to use.

TheLarapinta Trail relation 3066363 is such a trial - the signs are
oriented best for an east to west walk. But you can walk it in any
direction.

Where the confusion arises is the "recommendation of direction" rather than the direction being compulsory.