[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 23:56:42 UTC 2019

> sent from a phone
> On 16. Mar 2019, at 15:53, Jan S <grimpeur78 at gmail.com
> <mailto:grimpeur78 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> So you basically can't rely on OSM to find a police station in case
>> of an emergency.
>

> let us not overemphasize the emergency in this context. In an urgent
> emergency you would expect the police to come to you rather than the
> opposite.

If you are being assaulted, it is better to run towards the police
rather than away.

> I agree that we should have an amenity tag for police stations (this
> still means many of them would be closed after office times, for
> example in Germany), and that amenity=police was defined so since the
> beginning.
> And it appears that other police facilities and non public operations
> also bear the tag.
>
> We could try to migrate those other police amenities to
> amenity=police_facility
>
> some would better be retagged as office, but if you want a tag which
> more reliably states “police station”, it looks like a new subtag e.g.
> police=station could work.

Why have amenity=police_facility where that too will have to have sub
tags .. possibly more police=* values?

Why not simply accept the key police=* and be done with the intermediate
step of amenity=police or amenity=police_facility or
amenity=police_office ro amenity=police_garage etc... ?

> There are already 22 of them ;-)
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/police#values

Any if the key police=* how many will then become used?

> Most common (the only significantly used) value for “police” is
> “traffic_police” (987 uses). This is a type of police, not a type of
> facility.

A 'type' of police in some police facility.