[Tagging] Horse mounting steps

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 02:30:09 UTC 2019

On 27/03/19 20:23, Hufkratzer wrote:
> On 27.03.2019 07:37, Warin wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'd still call it a 'mounting block' ... no steps in the name so it 
>> can be a ramp or, in your case, a platform. Add wheelchair=yes and a 
>> description=* tag ???
> +1, in wikipedia it's also called 'mounting block', see 
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mounting_block.
> But isn't it too primitive to be an amenity? What about 
> animal=mounting_block? We have animal=horse_walker.

I was not aware of the key animal. Looks to be used for all sorts of 
things ..
the kind of animal in a zoo exhibit?

Very poorly organised.... I would not go there!

Looks to come from the German talk group.. nothing to do with the 
tagging group?

> I assume only stationary (fixed, heavy) mountoing blocks should be 
> tagged. Many other objects (e.g. old tractor tires) can be used to 
> mount a horse and could otherwise be tagged as a mounting block. AFAIK 
> most mounting blocks/steps used in riding centres are light and 
> movable and therefore not relevant here.

Yes, only fixed objects. OSM does not map things like parked cars.

More information about the Tagging mailing list