[Tagging] "Unambiguous crossings" proposals and related questions

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Mon May 20 21:44:30 UTC 2019

That is an interesting case!

Looking at mapillary, it looks like part of it is paved. I'm not sure
whether that makes it a footway or not, but it looks incredibly dangerous
to cross there:
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=53.91808029997222&lng=-1.1642329000000018&z=17.363583160262273&focus=photo&pKey=Bn5q8Eay8Sar3ELAEaHXFg&x=0.5127641245746908&y=0.55074602568446&zoom=0

This is a case where I feel my own subjectivity comes into play when it
comes to mapping: do I map a potentially unsafe crossing (sometimes the
only one available for miles) and hope that data consumers contextualize it
properly (a multi-part unmarked crossing on a primary highway) or do I
dictate crossing=no / add notes? I don't feel confident in either option,
personally, and actually tend to just not map it and hope for the best.