[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pedestrian lane

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:02:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 22:54, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> currently your proposal is a description of the physical appearance of the feature, but for highways what is needed are usually functional and legal definitions. A cycleway is a way designated for bicycles, a motorway excludes slow traffic, and so on.

And a pedestrian lane is a designated lane for pedestrians. Sorry, but
i don't understand how the way i defined it differs from how the
features you mentioned are defined.

> To make sense of a pedestrian lane it would either have to bear implications on different modes of transport (e.g. in Switzerland motor vehicles can use this lane, unlike sidewalks or other footways), or we would have to state these for every instance of it (like we do for example with gates).
> currently the proposal doesn’t say anything about it.

Adding all the legal informations (use by all vehicles/bicycles
allowed/prohibited, use by pedestrians mandatory/encouraged) to every
single pedestrian lane in one country would be highly inefficient and
is also discouraged in our "Don't map your local legislation, if not
bound to objects in reality" rule. [1] I'd suggest collecting the
legal informations in a table on the wiki. Later, when we will
hopefully have a way to tag defaults, this informations could then be
transferred to the boundary=administrative relation.

Of course, if a single pedestrian lane has a locally marked or signed
exception, that single pedestrian lane should be tagged accordingly.

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#Don.27t_map_your_local_legislation.2C_if_not_bound_to_objects_in_reality