[Tagging] Business which sells static caravans / mobile homes: shop=mobile_home or shop=static_caravan?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 04:52:26 UTC 2019

I looked back at that discussion but it seems to be about
RVs/caravans/motor homes/camper trailers.

I'm not asking about shops that sell "motor homes" or "RVs" or "5th
wheels" or "camper trailers" or "caravans" or "camper vans". I
understand that both self-propelled "motorhomes" and pulled "caravans"
can be sold at a shop=caravan.

Rather this is a place where you can view and order a manufactured
dwelling, aka "static caravan", "mobile home", which you might place
in a "trailer park" in the USA. Some of these look rather house-like,
if they are "double-wide" and have to be delivered in 2 parts, others
are somewhat similar to camping caravans but are designed for
year-round living in one place, in mild climates.

Perhaps in Britain you can buy a "mobile home" or something designed
as a "static caravan" at the same shop which sells self-propelled
motorhomes, but I expect not?

Another user made the page shop=mobile_home but I'm guessing that this
is American English and might not be correct.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home: "A *mobile home* (also *trailer*
, *trailer home*, *house trailer*, *static caravan*, *residential caravan*)
is a prefabricated <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabrication>structure,
built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being
transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as
permanent homes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home>, or for holiday or
temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or
semi-permanently in one place"

Do they have shops that sell these in Britain?

On 11/19/19, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joseph
> Back in January when I created shop=caravan & the other versions, there was
> *very* extensive discussion on here regarding the various options &
> combinations of names.
> You may like to find a comfortable seat, pour yourself either a hot coffee
> or a cold beer, & have a read of
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-January/041883.html
> :-)
> Thanks
> Graeme
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 11:44, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> There are places in the USA where you can buy a "mobile home" which is
>> meant to be semi-permanently installed in one place, unlike an "RV"
>> which is meant for camping in different places. I believe these are
>> called "static caravans" in Britain, and there is a tag
>> "building=static_caravan" for the installed feature, also known
>> colloquially as a "trailer" (USA), "caravan" (Britain), or
>> "manufactured home" (only really used in advertising by the industry).
>> In the USA small ones are "single-wide" if they can be moved in 1
>> piece, but you can get a "double-wide" or "triple-wide" manufactured
>> house, which is moved in 2 or 3 pieces and has to be reassembled at
>> the site where it is installed. These bigger ones usually get a
>> foundation, but the smaller cheap ones are often left up on wheels or
>> concrete blocks.
>> Right now there is a page documenting "shop=mobile_home" which is used
>> only 14 times -
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dmobile_home
>> But is seems like this isn't the right terminology in British English.
>> What would be better? shop=static_caravan perhaps?
>> - Joseph Eisenberg
>> _______________________________________________
>> Tagging mailing list
>> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

More information about the Tagging mailing list