[Tagging] Guard booth building type

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 20:33:15 UTC 2019

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 20:55, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:

> How about porters_lodge, it's more general. It would cover the small
> building at the entrance of outdoor pools where you buy the tickets, same
> for other outdoor venues, the booth at the entrance of company/factory
> grounds, the guard booth at the entrance of gated communities etc.
>
> Not sure if this word is common in English, I just looked up the
> translation of the German word for that.

"Porter's lodge" exists in English.  But is mostly used with reference to
university accommodation
because, a long time ago, part of a porter's duty was to help carry the
students' baggage.

A more generic term would be gatehouse.

I would not generally expect to buy tickets at either a gatehouse or a
porter's lodge.  That would
more likely be called a ticket booth, even if it's more of a cabin than a
booth.

--
Paul