[Tagging] Cycling relation misuse

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Oct 11 07:04:40 UTC 2019

Questions about using cycle relations properly:

I am mapping and repairing cycle roads in the Kanto/Tokyo area. There are a lot of designated cycling roads that follow a long rivers and other water features out into the countryside, making up a regional system, and a lot of smaller local cycling roads (also along small rivers) that connect neighborhoods and towns together.
example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3218181 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3218181>

I’m working to get all the individual ways of the cycle roads into relations and to properly classify these (local/regional, etc).

But on the cycling layer of OSM, I find regular roads labeled as cycle routes: mountain roads where professional cyclists like to exercise labeled as a “cycling route”, which seems like “mapping for the renderer”.

example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8066243 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8066243>

- They don’t seem to be cycling roads - all the relation members are trunk roads or similar - no cycleways whatsoever.

-they are dangerous routes with no side-paths, sidewalks, or dedicated cycle lanes - just regular roads.

- they are exercise loops or hill climbs for pro cyclistsand serve no purpose for travelers or commuters.

- they are not, AFAIK, part of an official “cycling network”. The Super-relation someone has added all cycle routes to ( 関東地方サイクリングロード・ネットワーク ). https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8051094 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8051094>  also seems to be made-up and not official either - the name only returns one result (the OSM data page) when searched.

To me, these non-cycle routes are just garbage relations meant to have the route show up on the cycling view of OSM for people doing workouts.

I want to delete these fake “mountain workout” relations that should be mapped in strava or a similar workout app.

Javbw