[Tagging] Walking & Cycling Node Network tagging: undoing the hijacking of rcn and rwn

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 18:48:16 UTC 2019

Sorry for the delay, I meant to post this earlier. My bad!
We have discussed the arguments again in the Dutch OSM forum. The Belgium
OSM forum did not respond, except for vmarc who took active part in the
Dutch forum discussion. The German OSM forum had some positive response but
no specific details. They have discussed the same problems earlier.

The only new argument from this tagging list was that the key network_type
or network:type is not very clear; it does not show what the difference is
with the key network. I thought that was a valid point, I thought of two
alternatives but mappers thought those were wrongfooting new mappers and
that's even worse than confusing them.

I am sorry to say that some mappers already had started to add the new tag
to cycle node networks even before we reached consensus.

The Dutch consensus (with a touch of expert Belgian input and no objection
from Germany) is:

*We add the tag network:type=node_network to all the junction nodes, to all
the node2node route relations, and the node network relation of the node
network.*

This applies to all recreational node networks: all transport modes, and
all geographical scopes.
Note that the key is not new. There already was some usage, mainly in
Spain, thought it wasn't documented. We had a quick look, it doesn't
conflict with our use.

When done, rXn in itself is no longer reserved for node networks. Node
networks can be separated easily and completely from linear routes. This
means tagging regular regional routes (linear routes) will once again be
possible in Nederland, Belgium and Germany. We actually have quite a few of
those, the are now tagged as national routes even when they are entirely
within a particular region.
The exception has been undone.

I will be happy to answer any questions arising from this.

Fr gr Peter Elderson