[Tagging] Tourist bus stop

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:11:11 UTC 2019

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 18:25, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> is "motorcar" a term that is common in British English?

Not much.

> How do you tag the generic bus class in Britain?

Is there such a thing?  There are buses which operate to a timetable and
anyone may board
or alight at specified stops (perhaps elsewhere at the driver's
discretion).  There are coaches
use for day trips and coaches for long distance.  All are classed by the UK
gov't as PSVs
(as are taxis, minibuses and stretch limos).

FWIW, the common term "bus" is already taken for buses acting as public
> service vehicles,

Except "PSV" doesn't mean what you think it means in the UK.  But I'm happy
with how OSM
uses the term bus, because that's how most people in the UK use it, and I
think is what our
gov't calls a "registered local service."

so there must be something else for the generic vehicle class for buses.

There must?  Why?  I can't think of it.  There may very well be one, in
common usage,
but it doesn't spring to mind.

> I am not insisting on "motorbus", but it seemed to fit with the rest of
> the terms, and it didn't seem to have specific meaning, which the currently
> documented "tourist_bus" obviously has.

There was a time when all buses were pulled by horses.  Then along came
Daimler, Otto
and others and eventually there were new-fangled motorbuses.  Proudly
called motorbuses
because they had a motor instead of being pulled by horses.  More time
passed and
horse-drawn buses became a rarity, and what were once called motorbuses
were simply
called buses.  Although horse-drawn buses are exceedingly rare, they would
also fit into
the generic, as yet unnamed, category that includes buses, coaches,
minibuses, etc.
Motorbus is pretty much an archaism.

Since a bus and coach are extremes in terms of size and weight of PSVs, and
look
very similar from the outside, I'd be reasonably happy to accept access=bus
as meaning
both.  I can foresee the possibility that buses are allowed but coaches are
not, but is it
likely?  No doubt somebody will chip in with an example.  Actually, I can
think of one:
an automatic vehicle barrier that opens if it detects a bus (local
registered service)
but not any other type of vehicle, so it would exclude coaches.  Yes, such
a thing
exists.

--
Paul