[Tagging] Strange tags

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 11:24:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:00, Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2019-09-30, pr, 10:35 Martin Koppenhoefer rašė:
>

> > IMHO this would represent just a small minority of people thinking so.
> > Generally verifiability would be satisfied if you could go in the area
> > and ask the people, there is no requirement for a sign.
>
>   If there is an official open freely accessible dataset, you (and
> anybody else) can use it to verify.

A couple of weeks ago, while following links in the hope of getting
information
about something, I stumbled across a page about the Ordnance Survey in the
UK
and its early history.  For local place names they quizzed local people
"What do
you call that?" and that's the name they used on their maps.  Sometimes
spelled
incorrectly.  So the official names (in the UK, at least) were originally
derived by
asking the locals.

I can't remember where I saw it, or even what I was looking for that led me
there.
I just tried a quick google search and got lots of hits that weren't it.
So you'll
have to trust my lousy memory about it.

--
Paul