[Tagging] Strange tags

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 11:34:57 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 30. Sept. 2019 um 13:26 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> A couple of weeks ago, while following links in the hope of getting
> information
> about something, I stumbled across a page about the Ordnance Survey in the
> UK
> and its early history.  For local place names they quizzed local people
> "What do
> you call that?" and that's the name they used on their maps.  Sometimes
> spelled
> incorrectly.  So the official names (in the UK, at least) were originally
> derived by
> asking the locals.
>
> I can't remember where I saw it, or even what I was looking for that led
> me there.
> I just tried a quick google search and got lots of hits that weren't it.
> So you'll
> have to trust my lousy memory about it.

That's generally how names come onto maps (before they get copied from one
edition to the next). And it is why an open database is not always
sufficient for verifiability, the name in the db could be a name, but it
could also be an error or an old name (a name that was used but is not
anymore).

Cheers
Martin