[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Mon Aug 3 20:08:34 UTC 2020

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 10:24 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Am Mi., 22. Juli 2020 um 17:27 Uhr schrieb Tod Fitch <tod at fitchfamily.org <mailto:tod at fitchfamily.org>>:
> It certainly would not be my pick of terms, but it seems manhole=drain has an appropriate definition in the wiki [1] and considerable use [2] for a place that water disappears into a man made structure. Most of them around here are not circular and many appear to be too small for a person to get into when the grate is removed. But OSM has odd tagging for other things so why not this too?
>

> I would rather try to limit the "odd cases", and maybe even get rid of them in the long term. There is no benefit from using inappropriate terms. If manhole=* is generally considered to be about manholes, why would we want to encourage more usage for non-manhole objects?
>
> IMHO we should fix the definition in the wiki by making it more precise, as there aren't so many yet.

Looking at wikipedia, it seems that “storm drain” is used in the UK, Canada and the US [1]. And there is an “inlet” [2] associated with it. What are the opinions using:

storm_drain = inlet

For the location that a surface drainage ditch disappears into an underground storm water system. The tag would most often be used on a node.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_drain
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_drain#Inlet