[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Aug 4 14:17:32 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 04 August 2020, muralito at montevideo.com.uy wrote:

> I linked several scientific studies that clearly shows and are
> verifiable geographic evidence that this is not an oceanic coast, its
> a riverbank [...]

I am not going to start a discussion here on the semantics of terms
like 'ocean', 'riverbank', 'coast' or similar which are inherently
culture specific and political.

So i repeat my request:

could you formulate a generic rule for coastline placement similar to
what i formulated in

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Coastline-River_transit_placement

that

(a) allows for the coastline placement you favor in case of the Rio de
la Plata
(b) is based on verifiable physical geography criteria that can
practically be checked by mappers and
(c) that is compatible to most of the current coastline placements at
river mouths around the world?

If you can do that we can try to have a productive discussion without
delving into the swamp of politics and cultural differences and maybe
can find a consensus position that everyone can be satisfied with.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/