[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Takeaway drinks shops

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 17:30:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 15:36, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 09:09, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We're into cultural edge cases here.
>
> Not surprising since your "shop fits where consumption is not allowed
> on the premises" is a very your-culture-centric view on things.

You think so?  I'd say that far more culture centric is "MY culture doesn't
make a distinction between these things therefore YOUR culture is not
allowed to."

> There are places with lots of seats for consumption on the premises.  And
> places
> > with no seats at all for consumption off the premises.  Calling both of
> those
> > amenities is not helpful.  Calling both of those shops is not helpful.
> We clearly
> > need both amenity and shop IF both of those types of establishment exist
> for
> > bubble tea.
>
> I disagree with the premise that consumption on premises is to be a
> divider. Making two tags for the same kind of shop/service depending
> if there's a bench or not seems bad to me. There's supermarkets around
> here with a lunch bar where you can order some hot food and sit and
> eat it - would you make them an amenity too?

Absolutely.  A supermarket near me offers a wider range of things and
calls it an in-store cafe.  If you can go in and sit down to eat it's an
amenity.  There's a takeaway near me with seats and tables, which is
an amenity.

> I think we should not use "consumption on premises" as a criterion for
> shop/amenity split. If you disagree, please explain how the existing
> tags shop=hairdresser and amenity=pharmacy fit into your proposed
> tagging scheme.

I don't think we should let bad past mistakes force us into repeating them
for new tags.  BTW, we have done it correctly in other cases such as
amenity=pub and shop=alcohol.

But if your culture makes absolutely no distinction between shops
selling something for consumption off the premises and businesses
selling the exact same thing for consumption on the premises, then
pick whichever tag you want at random.  If you have edge cases,
pick whichever tag you like at random.  But allow other cultures
which do make those distinctions to pick a tag in a more meaningful
way.

--
Paul