[Tagging] new page for tree_lined=*

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:53:37 UTC 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 at 22:04, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14. Aug 2020, at 22:50, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Trees at
> the side of the road are an incidental.  Fields at the side of the road
> are an
> incidental.  Quaint houses at the side of the road are an incidental.
>

> no, the trees we are looking at are not incidental, they are part of the
> road. They are a feature of the road, are on the land of the road. The
> fields are beyond the road, they are on different grounds.

I start to suspect we're using different definitions of "road."  Or
different
definitions of "tree-lined."  Or different definitions of "tree."

I'd almost think you were talking of the landscaping feature of private
gardens known as an avenue (the word has been much debased in
English, where it used to correspond to the French allée) but this
discussion
appears to have been about roads in general, not ornamental ways.

> They are so common as to be inescapable here.  But not, I think of special
> interest, perhaps because they are so common.  Here it would be as silly
> as insisting on tagging hedge-lined roads, because hedges are prettier than
> fences.  Maybe we should have fence-lined roads, too, because some fences
> are pretty.
>

> Fences and hedges also are on private ground (at least this is the typical
> situation when the properties along the road have hedges or are fenced).

And this is the case for most of the roads around here, but the trees are
part
of the hedge.  On private ground.  You don't get to walk around the trunks
because of the hedge (or fence) between the trunks.  See, for example,
https://goo.gl/maps/QKsezC9bqsea1twy9 and keep going in that direction.
They're not ornamental or even for shade, they're windbreaks (or the
farmers have been too lazy to trim their hedges for many decades).

--
Paul