[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed Aug 19 03:21:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 05:51, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> On the other hand using the "1-5" notation to indicate a range is pretty
>>> well understood in the UK at least. What it is missing is the
>>> "interpolation" value (even, odd, all).
>>> So let us sort this mess out by defining:
>>> 1) that a hyphen indicates a range
>>>
>> Are there any other scenarios for hyphenated addresses?
>>
> As Andrew mentioned earlier, out here it is very common to have an address
> like 1-5 which means that one property is built across 3 blocks, so it's
> official address is "1 to 5", with no interpolation. Even numbers are on
> the other side of the road, so nobody is going to be looking here for 2 & 4.

Agreed. It is really common in Australian rural areas that the address
number range is actually allocated to a single lot, not one per lot.
Australia Post several decades ago allocated street numbers to every lot in
the country that previously only had a lot number, lot numbers are now only
acceptable until the street number is allocated by council. When this
allocation occurred the street numbers were allocated for every 10 metres
(left odd, right even, with other rules to determine the starting point),
so if your lot started 1500m from the start of the street on the right side
and had 500m of street frontage they'd have allocated your street number as
150-198. Australia Post expects that the street number range be used rather
than just the first number no matter where your driveway is. It sounds like
this is all defined in Rural Addressing in AS4819:2011, but the QLD
Government link below has a short explanation similar to what I've said.

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/land/title/addressing/how-determined
https://auspost.com.au/content/dam/auspost_corp/media/documents/australia-post-addressing-standards-1999.pdf

--
Jono