[Tagging] Definition of lake/pond as applied to stream/plunge pools

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 21:11:09 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 10:10 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, we already have fee and access which can cope with these things.
> What we didn't have was an understanding in the US that such tags
> were even applicable or that anyone might wish to map fishing
> features on rivers, especially pools that don't "bulge" enough to
> be obvious from aerial imagery but which are obvious from
> detailed measurement (using, say, a rod, line and float) on
> the ground.  The legislation affects the degree to which
> such details become public knowledge.

Yeah... but...

Don't think we don't understand that we can apply the tags; we just don't
often need them.

 The New York State-owned lands have pretty uniform rules for hunting and
fishing; for these, I follow 'don't tag the local legislation'.

The New York City ones vary all over the place, and the import of those
tags them specifically. For instance, in the case of
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/481482895 there is,

`foot=hunting;fishing' - public foot access allowed only for the stated
purposes.
'hunting=permit fishing=permit trapping=no' - a permit is required for
hunting or fishing; the setting of traps is prohibited.
`NYSDEC:wildlife_management_unit=3H` - the specific state Wildlife
Management Unit that hunters must consult.
`website=*` - link to lots more information, including, of course, how a
permit may be obtained.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6304851 has similar tagging, but
declares that you don't need a permit to fish there. (Or to enter on foot
for other reasons, but I find it hard to imagine why you'd want to go
plooshing about in that marsh if it weren't to fish.)

We do have facilities devoted to fishing access, such as
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6396542 -- which doesn't render
because there's no good "tag for the renderer" approach. (That one's not
got access constraints shown because it's free to all comers; of course,
anglers over 16 need a state fishing license.)

Essentially all of our Wildlife Management Areas are devoted to the
preservation of habitat for game fish and for wild game for hunters. (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6367671 is an example. There are a
great many of these.)  Once again, these are free to all comers. These are
supported financially by the revenue from the sale of hunting and fishing
licenses and by a tax on arms and ammunition.

There are some of our State Forests, for example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7229593, that I can't imagine why
you'd trouble to visit if it weren't to fish. (Note the adjacent presence
of https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/429194108.)

I can easily see how 'access=private', 'access=fee' and so on would apply
to fishing spots. I just haven't had occasion to map any.

You're right that I haven't mapped a lot of specific fishing spots, but
that's partly because they're so numerous.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin