[Tagging] Incomplete addresses

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Tue Jan 7 02:04:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 20:59, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was wondering about how to bring this up when the ongoing discussion about building addresses started ...
>
> I've recently been working on Map Roulette errors, & while doing so, have come across quite a few cases where addresses haven't been completely entered.
>
> In Australia, the format for entering addresses (at least in iD!) is Unit (number); (Street) Number; Street name; Suburb; State & Postcode.
>
> I kept finding places with the street number & name entered, often together with the post code!, but with no suburb listed?
>
> Obviously, I have no idea which editor was used to map them, but shouldn't this sort of thing error to say "Incomplete address entered" or words to that effect?

In Ontario we don't always map city and province in cases where that
can be easily computed from other OSM data. Province is outright
discouraged. When the administrative boundaries of municipalities and
regions/states/provinces are fully mapped in OSM, requiring them also
on every address node seems a bit pedantic (unless of course the
address is computed wrongly otherwise).

Though I'm sure local practice will vary across the world.

--Jarek