[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 21:51:39 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 8. Jan. 2020 um 22:35 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <
matkoniecz at tutanota.com>:

> But sometimes it is used on paths and footways to indicate that such way is
> oneway for pedestrians (especially in cases where only pedestrians are
> allowed)
> to use it.

I'd put it like this: "with the intention to indicate that such way is
oneway for pedestrians", because oneway can not apply to pedestrians, they
are excluded by the general definition, and if we changed it, we would
break a lot more than those few exceptions of actual oneway for pedestrians.

> There is oneway:foot=yes but it is considered as problematic because
> "According to how conditional restriction syntax works, adding a mode of
> transport such as :foot only ever limits who the tag applies to, it
> doesn't
> normally add someone it applies to."
> ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:oneway#Pedestrian_oneways
> and
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:oneway:foot )
>
> Personally I consider oneway:bicycle=yes or oneway:foot=yes
> as not problematic in any way, I want to check whatever I am alone in this.

it would be introducing another exception, for no good reason, there is
already foot:backward=no with the same intended meaning and without the
problem, as unlike oneway:foot it is consistent with the well introduced
concept of nested tagging.

Cheers
Martin