[Tagging] amenity=vending_machine/vending=bottle_return - operator=

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 13 09:57:44 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-13 09:59, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Am Mo., 13. Jan. 2020 um 09:25 Uhr schrieb Jake Edmonds via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>:
>
>> Do you have a suggestion Martin?
>
> maybe a generic
>
> amenity=bottle_return_machine ?

Why limit it to bottles? We don't do that with vending machines; Why do
it here? The type/class of RVM can be indicated by
reverse_vending=bottles just like we use vending=drinks.

> could be used for all kind of machines that take bottles, and amended with tags about the kind of bottles. It also seems easier to understand for non-natives (while describing more specifically the purpose) than "reverse vending machine".

Anyone looking at the current tagging is going to see lots of terms that
they don't understand, for reasons of language or knowledge/experience.
The device in question is called a reverse vending machine in English,
even if some people think it sounds weird. Can you suggest a synonym
that would mean more to a random non-native-speaker, without changing
the meaning to a hyponym? I note that even the wiki page for
amenity=vending_machine refers to these devices as a reverse vending
machine.