[Tagging] Deleting template parameters copied to data items

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 13:10:34 UTC 2020

On 15/01/2020 12:03, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> 15 Jan 2020, 12:57 by marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com:
>
>     I'm very unhappy with that.
>
> Please, please comment on the OSM Wiki if you want to comment.

What would be useful is a separate discussion about what wiki "data
items" are and why there are a good (or bad) idea.  That doesn't really
belong in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Transition_to_use_data_items_when_this_can_be_done_without_loosing_information
because that seems tied up in the specifics of one particular tag (and
lets be honest, wiki pages aren't good at threaded discussion).

Maybe someone who thinks this particular change is a good (or bad) idea
should write a diary entry or create a thread here explaining what the
point of the change is and what the benefits are, and what the impact on
people who use the wiki for reference and on people who edit it is?

There is a page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_items but that
fails to communicate much of that to me (someone whose first language is
English and has been reading technical documentation for 40 years).
Until that happens the rest of us are just going to assume that the OSM
wiki is a series of pages that we can just edit to document things in
OSM to help other mappers (which presumably was the original point) and
ignore anything else.

Best Regards,

Andy