[Tagging] Deleting template parameters copied to data items

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 15 13:19:44 UTC 2020

15 Jan 2020, 14:10 by ajt1047 at gmail.com:

> On 15/01/2020 12:03, Mateusz Konieczny      wrote:
>

>> 15 Jan 2020, 12:57 by >> marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com>> :
>>
>>> I'm very unhappy        with that.
>>>

>> Please, please comment on the OSM Wiki if you want to        comment.
>>

> What would be useful is a separate discussion about what wiki      "data items" are and why there are a good (or bad) idea.  That      doesn't really belong in > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Transition_to_use_data_items_when_this_can_be_done_without_loosing_information>  because that seems tied up in the specifics of one particular tag      (and lets be honest, wiki pages aren't good at threaded      discussion).

I kind of agree, but I am not someone who started the disussion.

It is complaining about my specific edit as an example but proposes something more general.

> Maybe someone who thinks this particular change is a good (or      bad) idea should write a diary entry or create a thread here      explaining what the point of the change is and what the benefits      are, and what the impact on people who use the wiki for reference      and on people who edit it is?

If someone wants to change current state (remove data from Wiki pages and move it somewhere
else) then they should explain why it is worth doing.

Change should not be done for a sake of change.

Personally, I tried using data items and immediately encountered severe problems
(some listed in the linked wiki discussion).

> There is a page > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_items>  but that fails to communicate much of that to me (someone whose      first language is English and has been reading technical      documentation for 40 years).  Until that happens the rest of us      are just going to assume that the OSM wiki is a series of pages      that we can just edit to document things in OSM to help other      mappers (which presumably was the original point) and ignore      anything else

+1