[Tagging] How to tag Landscaping tarpaper / weedblocking paper

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 16 12:55:34 UTC 2020

- yea, a lot of the erosion control searching online I have seen is open mesh or open squared checkerboard.

- yea, a lot of weed paper is root-blocking /light blocking sheeting, usually .5mm thick or so

- the farming plastic is a weed barrier, and also a wind erosion barrier. (The dust can be amazing in early spring) There are hundreds of KM of 1m wide .1mm plastic with holes in it for various vegetable fields around my home here. It is temporary and reusable.

- the “heavy” sheeting i am talking about that I see for erosion control (not necessarily slope stabilization) is thick - like 3-4mm thick roofing material,  like felt tarpaper, with a hard green-gray outer coating (not tar). It is held in place with large stakes/staples and those holes are “taped”shut, and all seams “taped” as well. It is used gap filler and small embankment cover around roadway landscaping and between buildings to totally stop all the kudzu and 2m tall sticker-covered weeds from getting a foothold and/or torrential downpour erosion protection for many years.

There is a small amount near my home, I’ll snap a picture of it. It is not a “mappable” amount, but should give you an idea of what it is.

It is somewhere between weed blocker and the soil stabilizing meshes - but unlinke the meshes (which often get overgrown) or the farming sheeting (which is temporary and used in fields), this is permanent (decade or so) and always the top surface.

So what would be a good surface=* be for it? Tarpaper sounds too close to the roofing material, which could cause confusion.

We should think of some surface=* values for the stabilization meshes (metal/plastic) as well.

Javbw