[Tagging] Question about capacity:*=* on parking_space

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:52:42 UTC 2020

Alesandro,

The thing is that disabled=designated is an access (so regulated by law),
and would depend because each country's law vary (not every country enforce
restriction for disabled parking or other type of vehicle...). Thus, it may
be wrong to tag an access when it doesn't exist. While a tag that's only an
attribute describing what type of parking exist, is unambiguous. It may be
parking_space=* or access:*=* , both are "good" for that as they are
unambiguous in their meaning. The only advantage of the second is that it
is already used for amenity=parking and seems coherent to use for the
parking_space in my opinion (even if it is only 1 place). The wiki page
already mention all the different type because there are many other than
disabled (like parent, women, electric charging,...) :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:capacity

marc,

The capacity:*=* tag should not be used alone (as described for any
parking), it is an addition to the capacity=* tag. For example, a place
marked as "capacity=1" and "capacity:disabled=1" means that the 1 capacity
is disabled. A better example is for an amenity=parking, you have a parking
with "capacity=12" and "capacity:disabled=3" it means 3 of the 12 parking
space are disabled.
Theoretically, all parking_space should be capacity=1 (and if necessary
capacity:*=*) but the advantage (as mentioned above) is that it would use
the same tagging than for amenity=parking. Thus we wouldn't use two
different scheme for the same thing.