[Tagging] RFC free_water

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Jan 22 08:44:04 UTC 2020

I would tend to agree with Frederik.

In GB (1) all licensed premises (2) must offer free tap water to customers. This covers all  pubs and bars, most restaurants and some cafe. The mappers time would be far more efficiently spent adding a tag to indicate which restaurants and cafes are licensed. This can be verified from outside, which is simple.

Retail mapping, and keeping it current, is hard enough. You cannot practically gather this information by walking into cafes and asking, that would not be efficient and if you rely on places you have been a customer you.will end up with very incomplete data.

Phil (trigpoint)

1. Wales, Scotland and England. Northern Irish law is different on this.

2. Licensed to sell alcohol.

On Wednesday, 22 January 2020, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17.01.20 07:37, European Water Project wrote:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Free_Water
>
> My opinion on this is:
>
> 1. It is not something that should be mapped in OSM at all; this is a
> volatile property like mapping menu items for a restaurant or product
> offers for a supermarket and may change at any time.
>
> 2. Even if we wanted to map this property, insofar as a whole chain has
> been signed up ("all XYZ outlets in ABC country offer free water"), it
> is wasteful to add the tag to every single outlet and it should just be
> recorded centrally (i.e. an app displaying free water options should
> simply highlight all outlets with operator=X or brand=X).
>
> 3. When we're talking about non-chain restaurants, the decision whether
> a random traveller will be offered a free refill for their water bottle
> can very well depend on the day of week, how politely the traveller
> asks, or how busy the place is - just because you've been given free
> water doesn't mean you should claim everybody gets it every time.
>
> 4. Even if all of the above were ignored, I think "free=yes" is too
> limited, and would concur with those who have suggested a "fee=no"
> approach, because if you are charged a dollar for your refill you can
> simply put "fee=$1".
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --