[Tagging] All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Jan 25 10:20:05 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 25 January 2020, Thibault Molleman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
> their naming scheme for fuels at gas stations to the new E5/E10/B7 scheme
> (referring to the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel.
>
> Sources:
> http://www.flanderstoday.eu/petrol-98-and-95-labels-change-next-week
> https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/new-eu-fuel-labelling-clearer-information-for-consumers-and-operators_en
>
> But I noticed on the wiki that nothing is mentioned about that.
> And looking at the taginfo for europe (I know it's not all of the EU, but
> only the Union countries. But it's a good approximation) it seems like the
> old tags are still used most often:
> 55 475 | fuel:diesel
> 47 010 | fuel:octane_95
> 29 636 | fuel:octane_98
> 12 232 | fuel:e10
> 40 | fuel:e5
> https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/search?q=fuel#keys
>
> And B7 (diesel) isn't mentioned on the wiki and doesn't seem to be used
> either.
>
> So I guess the questions are:
> - Should the wiki be changed to make it clear that in European Union
> countries octane 95/98 shouldn't be used and E10/E5 should be used instead?
> - Because there is only one type of Diesel, should that tag just stay
> Diesel or be replaced with B7 for consistency? (I think it makes more sense
> to keep it diesel since it does not matter and makes things more confusing
> potentially)
>
> Would love to hear your feedback

Whilst information on ethanol could be added to the wiki and as an additional tag removing the octane value would be entrirely wrong.

I have been noticing that filling stations in the UK do now display the E rating alongside the octane, but it can never be a replacement as, for example, the last time I filled up I had a choice of 95 Octane at E5 and 99 Octane at E5.

So whilst Ethanol tagging is important, as a classic car owner it is worrying and  seeking the

--
Sent from my Sailfish device