[Tagging] All European Union countries use E5/E10/B7 instead of gasoline 98/95, Diesel 10S respectively

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Jan 25 10:36:14 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 25 January 2020, Thibault Molleman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Back in 2018 all countries in the European Union were forced to switch
> their naming scheme for fuels at gas stations to the new E5/E10/B7 scheme
> (referring to the amount of bio-ethanol in the fuel.
>
> Sources:
> http://www.flanderstoday.eu/petrol-98-and-95-labels-change-next-week
> https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/new-eu-fuel-labelling-clearer-information-for-consumers-and-operators_en
>
> But I noticed on the wiki that nothing is mentioned about that.
> And looking at the taginfo for europe (I know it's not all of the EU, but
> only the Union countries. But it's a good approximation) it seems like the
> old tags are still used most often:
> 55 475 | fuel:diesel
> 47 010 | fuel:octane_95
> 29 636 | fuel:octane_98
> 12 232 | fuel:e10
> 40 | fuel:e5
> https://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/search?q=fuel#keys
>
> And B7 (diesel) isn't mentioned on the wiki and doesn't seem to be used
> either.
>
> So I guess the questions are:
> - Should the wiki be changed to make it clear that in European Union
> countries octane 95/98 shouldn't be used and E10/E5 should be used instead?
> - Because there is only one type of Diesel, should that tag just stay
> Diesel or be replaced with B7 for consistency? (I think it makes more sense
> to keep it diesel since it does not matter and makes things more confusing
> potentially)
>
> Would love to hear your feedback
> Cheers,

Whilst a section in the wiki and an adding an additional tag may be appropriate it is not a replacement for the octane as different octane ratings have the same E rating so would loose information.

In the UK I have noticed that pumps, now have the E number in addition to the octain  rating.

I had a choice of 95 octane with E5 and octane 99 which was also E5, the later being Shell V-Power.

So as demonstrated by one survey they are not the same thing. Changing to tagging E rating would loose important information.

As the owner of a classic car I have been watching the rise of ethanol, it is quite damaging to metak fuel tanks and fuel pipes so finding the lowest E number is important.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device