[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Wed Jul 1 00:49:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 20:28, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 01:02, Jarek Piórkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:
>> Maybe tag them amenity=takeaway
>
> Good idea.  Except that value is not officially agreed and isn't
> rendered.  Are you suggesting somebody propose it?

It doesn't look like being officially agreed has helped us much with cafe, so...

Do we want to introduce new tags for gastronomical service places? If
yes, so far takeaway has one of the clearer definitions I've seen, so
we could start there.

>> and leave amenity=fast_food for the other kinds of
>> places?
>
> So you're saying that amenity=fast_food should only be used where
> there are seats?

Nah. If it's a place that an editor would consider a takeaway, tag it
as takeaway. Otherwise tag it as something else. amenity=fast_food
could become a less-specific fallback, like highway=road.

> That goes contrary to many people's
> expectations.  And sort of implies that takeaways don't
> serve fast food.

Not anymore than using highway=primary implies it isn't a road.

> In any case, given the number of places already
> mapped, retagging of that sort isn't feasible.

Eh, as opposed to retagging coffee shops or McDonald's being feasible?

--Jarek