[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 23:36:46 UTC 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 19:19, Michael Montani <michael.montani at un.org>
wrote:

> Tag: natural = bare_ground (but many other options are open to discussion).

I agree that we need some way to tag areas like those in Somalia that you
posted, but I have some concerns about the definition " without *any*
vegetation"

Even those photos show that there is some vegetation there, even though
it's sparse.

At what level of plant growth, does it stop being "bare ground"? One
"plant" (tree / shrub / patch of grass etc) per sq km / 100 / 10 / 1 sq m?

Maybe, instead of saying it's bare ground, we need some way of describing
the level of ground cover eg vegetation=sparse or similar?

& while you say that it is a long-term thing, if you get decent rain, it
can change virtually (& sometimes literally!) overnight:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/dams-start-to-fill-after-summer-rains-in-southern-queensland/11940556

Thanks

Graeme