[Tagging] Edited the wiki for building=terrace

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 00:36:54 UTC 2020

On 18/7/20 3:29 pm, Skyler Hawthorne wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> A couple weeks ago, I started a thread regarding how to tag terrace
> buildings when the entire building has a name. I proposed an
> alternative tagging scheme to handle such cases, and others where it's
> clear that the building is one cohesive unit.
>
> As a result of that discussion, I made some edits to the wiki page for
> building=terrace. A review and any feedback is welcome, as are further
> edits if there is further clarification in order, or if there is
> strong objection to the tagging scheme described.
> --

In Australia.

A row of terrace houses were commonly built by the one builder in the
same style and usually in similar floor plans (usually mirrored pairs).

Once built they were sold off as individual homes.

Over time various changes have been made to individual homes. However
the shared sidewalls have remained as they are structural to the buildings.

Some adjacent houses have been combined into one home usually retaining
the frontal appearance of two houses and the perimeter of the shared
side wall.

To my knowledge a terrace house MUST share the side walls with the
adjacent terrace house in the original construction, obviously excluding
the two end houses. This is not clearly stated in the OSM page.

In rare cases a single terrace house remains as the others have been
demolished. These are still terrace houses as identified by the
construction, style, size and floor plan conforming to others in the area.