[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:10:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 16:02, Jan Michel <jan at mueschelsoft.de> wrote:

> I would stay with information=guidepost for those.

That is fine if the only meaning you wish to convey is that there
is something which indicates the path of the route.  But there
are those, like me, who think the physical appearance is
important.  If the map tells me I should expect to see a guidepost
at a particular point, I am looking for one of these
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpost
If I am not close enough to read the lettering on a sign and it
is inconvenient for me to get closer, I may not realize that
what is marked a guidepost on the map is actually the
sign I'm looking at.

This might be less of a problem were it not for the way some cartos
render guideposts, which is a stylized guidepost.  Using
a information=guidepost for a sign is misleading and, to my
mind, downright perverse.  This is pounding a square peg
into a round hole on the basis that pegs go into holes.
It's on a par with mapping motorways as footpaths because
they're both ways of getting from A to B.

--
Paul