[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:43:18 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 22. Juli 2020 um 11:48 Uhr schrieb bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com>:

> I have yet to see a park where they limit the size of luggage I can carry
> with me (within rational limits).
>
> I think local law always defines what a bicycle is exactly. I don't think
> that they have the right to search your box to check whether it contains
> legally defined bicycles - that could only be done by a police officer and
> would need a warrant, so I think we can always carry bicycles in a box.
> Mind you that luggage could also have wheels.

whether a warrant is needed, will depend largely on the local jurisdiction.
For example it isn't the same situation whether you are in Bavaria or in
Berlin.

> For circumventing carry-on rules, it was common knowledge that if you
> removed the front tire, it could not be ridden anymore and could be
> understood to be not a bicycle, rather it was classified as "bicycle parts".

did you see my picture 3 from above? It deals exactly with this.

> If you carry a front wheel and your friend carries the rest, can you enter
> the park? Both of you are only carrying parts, and none of you
> possess bicycles.

you see. It isn't clear at all what you have to do in order to make your
bike not a bike any more, and I guess this probably would also depend on
the judge, if this would go to court.

> On the other hand, the terms of services of transport companies usually
> have written provisions for carrying on folded bicycles irrespective of
> size limits (for example, they even allow folded mountain bikes).

they might not even allow big boxes, according to the current situation
(empty or full).

> Just for kicks:
>
> https://ecofriend.com/bike-that-folds-into-an-a3-paper-size-box-is-rightly-named-the-a3-bicycle.html

nice project, although it looks as if it may get far too heavy to carry
around once it is realized.

Cheers
Martin