[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:45:13 UTC 2020

This may all sound tangential or nitpicking to you, but to those with the
right equipment, the tags you propose, depending on scenario would simply
be misleading.

A photo would help to understand the exact place, but I think you could
easily push your foldable bike through narrow passages if you rotate your
handlebar and/or fold your pedals.

If you can fold your bicycle in 15 seconds, it integrates a
visually protective cover and has small luggage-wheels for moving when
folded, it would not cause a problem to take a 100m detour in the park if
it could save you kilometers and/or going into dangerous traffic. I've seen
such designs in mass production, but wouldn't want to do much advertising
here.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> The boxes business is most likely leading us a bit up the Nymphenburg
> Schlosspark garden path.
> The real issue is routing for bicycles.
> Many (bicycle) routers I know would route you against (short) stretches of
> one-way roads or on short stretches of (bicycle=no) footpaths, so in those
> cases it is important to be sure that you distinguish between hard-no and
> soft-no for bicycles.
> I have come across another type of hard-no for bicycles in the form of
> chicane-type cycle barriers too narrow to push a bicycle (or a wheelchair)
> through.
>
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 at 11:48, bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have yet to see a park where they limit the size of luggage I can carry
>> with me (within rational limits).
>>
>> I think local law always defines what a bicycle is exactly. I don't think
>> that they have the right to search your box to check whether it contains
>> legally defined bicycles - that could only be done by a police officer and
>> would need a warrant, so I think we can always carry bicycles in a box.
>> Mind you that luggage could also have wheels.
>>
>> For circumventing carry-on rules, it was common knowledge that if you
>> removed the front tire, it could not be ridden anymore and could be
>> understood to be not a bicycle, rather it was classified as "bicycle
>> parts". Some thought this could be used to transport bicycles on a train
>> for free, but it was actually oversized for the definition of luggage, so
>> the actual deciding factor was always the kindness of the staff.
>>
>> If you carry a front wheel and your friend carries the rest, can you
>> enter the park? Both of you are only carrying parts, and none of you
>> possess bicycles.
>>
>> On the other hand, the terms of services of transport companies usually
>> have written provisions for carrying on folded bicycles irrespective of
>> size limits (for example, they even allow folded mountain bikes).
>>
>> Just for kicks:
>>
>> https://ecofriend.com/bike-that-folds-into-an-a3-paper-size-box-is-rightly-named-the-a3-bicycle.html
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <
>> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> sent from a phone
>>>
>>> On 22. Jul 2020, at 11:07, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
>>> tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> bicycle_pushed=no was suggested in previous discussion, see
>>>
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-November/thread.html#49056
>>>

>>> and then you would also need
>>> bicycle_carried=no
>>> and