[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Jul 22 15:09:59 UTC 2020

On 7/22/2020 10:34 AM, Allroads wrote:

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Waterloopbos._Natuurgebied_van_Natuurmonumenten._Informatiebord.jpg
> - Fietsers op verharde fietspaden en wegen
> -Bicyclist on paved cycleway and roads.
> Here is written what is allowed.
> But more important:
> Overigens verboden toegang Artikel 461 W.v.S.
> Others prohibited access, article 461 Code criminal law.
> The word  “Overigens” means:  all the other which is not mentioned
> above on the sign
> Not pushing a bicycle on a unpaved cyclway, path, tracks. So others
> then “wegen” roads.
> A active Openmapstreet member got  a ticket for pushing his bike on a
> not allowed “wegen” by a certified ranger (BOA) Community service officer.

I wonder if carrying a bicycle (possibly folded) would also be
prohibited on these unpaved ways?

As was mentioned in the last thread, the rules for most federal
wilderness areas in the USA strictly prohibit possession of any bicycle
on the property, whether the wheels ever touch the ground or not.
Rangers will fine the violators.

To me, the simplest and most logical tagging approach would be:
  - bicycle=no means no bicycles, ridden or otherwise
  - bicycle=dismount means pushing is allowed
  - other values can be used for even more restrictive situations:
bicycle=carried, bicycle=folded, bicycle=boxed...

But the problem with this, as I've learned, is decades of tagging by
mappers who had no experience with the idea of bicycles being completely
prohibited, so used bicycle=no to mean bicycle=dismount in situations
where foot traffic was permitted.

If this unfortunate tagging practice really needs to be preserved (the
idea of retagging so many bicycle=no ways is certainly daunting) then
I'd suggest a new key, dismounted_bicycle=*, which will function as a
regulation key (like smoking=*) rather than a vehicle access key. Total
bicycle prohibition would be encoded with both bicycle=no and
dismounted_bicycle=no, and other dismounted_bicycle=* values can be
developed for whatever the regulations are in particular situations.

Jason