[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 15:48:31 UTC 2020

On 22/07/2020 11.25, Tod Fitch wrote:
> Digression: The wiki page for natural=sinkhole [3] says that it is a
> tagging error to use natural=sink_hole. When I look at taginfo I see
> nearly 2000 occurances of natural=sink_hole and none for
> natural=sinkhole [4]. I guess the write of the wiki page disagreed
> with the spelling of the most used spelling of the tag value.

I am fairly confident that "sinkhole" is the correct American spelling,
and "sink hole" is discouraged; my guess is that's what the author was
thinking.

That said, OSM apparently uses en_GB spelling, and "sink hole" *does*
seem to have use in the UK (but it seems "sinkhole" does also).

FWIW, Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole) only lists
"sink-hole" as an alternative, although Wiktionary does have "sink hole".

Interestingly, the etymology is given as 'from sinkehole, sinkeholl',
suggesting that "sink hole" is a neologism and "sinkhole" is more
historically accurate.

--
Matthew