[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Ground: natural=bare_soil)

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Mon Jul 27 11:39:37 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I eventually found on-the-ground images of the feature I would like to propose / map. As you can see these areas are not sand (different granulometry), nor scree (very particular definition in natural=scree wikipage). They are not part of road, but are passable by cars. They are not bare rocks.

You can find the images at the proposal page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Ground . I know it's not allowed to modify the feature proposal page during voting, so if needed I will restart the voting after.

>Maybe it is list of considered but rejected alternatives?

Yes I forgot to modify, now it has been corrected

>It is unfortunate that the suggestion to not aim for introducing an umbrella tag was not taken into account.
The proposal as is lacks clarity of what it actually suggests and how this new tag delienates against existing tags.  It also lacks comprehensive practical guidance for the mapper how to identify and delineate features with this tag based on real world on-the-ground examples.

Hopefully the new images will delineate better the feature I would like to propose / map. I don't think it's an umbrella tag, how can I map these areas which, again, are not temporary and they are not covered by vegetation after few time? In Africa they are a lot, and I think there is not current tag for that.

>What you essentially attempt to introduce here is a *residual* tag to turn the open OSM tagging system consisting of tags that positively identify specific real world features into a closed land cover classification system modeled after countless such systems (some of which you cited).

I think ground is a real world feature. The landcover classification systems have only been cited to check a clearer, already existing definition in literature, as suggested by others in the feature discussion. And also, it seems natural=bare_rock has been taken from there too.

Thanks, I hope to receive some more guidance,

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985