[Tagging] Map maintenance with StreetComplete - Preferred tagging

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Thu Jul 30 11:14:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:40:58PM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > On 30. Jul 2020, at 10:39, ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> wrote:
> >
> > often without survey, and then do not update the source, so
> > that tag becomes completely misleading.
>
> that’s what happens all the time. When I edit things that already have a source tag (generally source=Bing) I am removing it, as it is not valid any more. I thought it was established practice that sources belong to edits and not to objects

Only because, as you say, the source tag is misused. I admit that
extending tags is not very widely done, and some people seem to have
trouble parsing ";" which I use as a separator. But my tags generally
look like source=first;second;... when appropriate. I only delete
sections of the source when the original corresponding data has been
completely revised. That is quite common in the UK where some origianl
rough & ready mapping was done from old maps (NPR, etc). When that has
been completely reworked, then the original source=NPR; component can
be deleted.

> There’s a reason why source tags on objects are discouraged. To make sense of them you have to dig into the object history anyway. Too many people just keep/ignore the source tags regardless of their own edits.

Surely it is better to educate people who perhaps don't realise how to
extend or modify tags? Mind you, I would always want people to check
history in any nontrivial cases. Easy in josm: I don't know about other
editors.

Perhaps we mean "source_history" instead of "source"?

ael